Our story

Rooted in faith.
Growing in grace.

For more than eighty years, generations of people have called St. Mark home. Our buildings and surroundings have changed, but the heart of the congregation remains: sharing the love of Jesus in Encinitas.

A story of God’s faithfulness

It began with a small gathering in 1945.

Forty-six worshipers and four Sunday School children gathered for St. Mark’s first service. From that beginning, the congregation grew through faithful pastors, lay leaders, teachers, musicians, families, and neighbors who served together across the decades.

Milestones

Our journey through the years

1944

A mission takes root

The Rev. A. J. Brommer of Pacific Beach began serving Lutherans in the San Dieguito area, assisted by Vicar Carl Last. Many in the first group were descendants of Olivenhain’s early settlers.

1945

The first worship service

On February 18, forty-six people gathered at the local American Legion Hall, while four children attended Sunday School. Services soon moved to a local mortuary chapel that became the congregation’s home for fourteen years.

1946

St. Mark is organized

The Encinitas mission was formally organized as St. Mark Lutheran Church on December 11, 1946, with the Rev. Ralph C. Claus serving as its first resident pastor.

1958–1961

A permanent church home

The congregation purchased the Santa Fe Drive site in 1958, completed an education building in 1959, and dedicated its distinctive new sanctuary on December 3, 1961.

2005–2006

Moving forward in faith

St. Mark sold the Santa Fe Drive property to Scripps Memorial Hospital and purchased the former Temple Solel campus on El Camino Real. The congregation carried its ministry—and treasured memories—into a new home.

Today

Welcome Home

St. Mark continues to worship, grow, and serve in Encinitas, joyfully welcoming the community to experience the love of Jesus.

The interior of St. Mark's former concrete-shell sanctuary

The 1961 sanctuary

An Encinitas landmark.

Designed by architect Walter Hagadone, the dramatic concrete-shell sanctuary was dedicated in 1961. Its angular roofline and walls of colorful stained glass made it a memorable example of mid-century sacred architecture.

When the property was sold for the expansion of Scripps Memorial Hospital, the building was dismantled in 2006. The congregation moved forward together, bringing its ministry to the present El Camino Real campus.

Read the SOHO historical article

Pastors through the years

Shepherding St. Mark

This roster brings together the names and dates preserved in St. Mark’s historical documents, along with the congregation’s more recent pastoral record.

1944–1945

Rev. A. J. Brommer

Organizing pastor

1945

Vicar Carl Last

Vicar assisting the new mission

1945–1947

Rev. Ralph C. Claus

First resident pastor

1947–1954

Rev. Carl Hesse

1954–1965

Rev. Frederic E. Brick

1966–1969

Rev. A. T. J. Irmer

1970–1998

Rev. Lloyd D. Powers

1999

Rev. Kenneth Molnar & Rev. Warren Naegele

Transitional pastoral service

1999–2001

Rev. Ralph Buchhorn

2001–2003

Rev. Allen Rudow & Rev. Leslie C. Beale

Vacancy pastoral service; exact individual dates are not listed in the surviving record

2003–2015

Rev. Eric L. Trickey

2015–2017

Rev. Gary Trickey

Vacancy pastor

2017–2025

Rev. Joel Beyer

2025–present

Rev. Augie Iadicicco

Vacancy pastor

This roster combines St. Mark’s surviving historical documents with the congregation’s more recent records. If additional archival information becomes available, names and dates can be updated.